Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1437 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
kawal

India
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
How to calculate accurate dimensions?

Hello

I need help to understand two basic questions. I searched on this forum but could not find an answer that matches my requirement.

Lets assume wall thickness is 1' which is 12"
from the grid at zero,
I draw a horizontal wall of 10'. Lets call this wall A
I draw another vertical wall of 5'. Lets call this wall B

Query1 - When I move wall B and place it over wall A at an intersection of 3' distance from left (zero grid) and then measure it with autodimensioning, it shows
3'01/2" from left instead of 3'
and 4'01/4" from top instead of 4'
How can i accurately place wall B over wall A so that I get 3' distance on the left and 4' distance from top?

Query2 - How to connect both the walls? When I select both walls and use connect wall feature, it moves wall B upwards and Join wall feature is greyed out.

[Nov 26, 2022, 10:22:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kawal

India
Re: How to calculate accurate dimensions?

I read this forum article and uploaded the below pic but done know why it is not showing up.

mediafire.com /view/p3qu3djll52rak9/dimensions.png/file
[Nov 26, 2022, 10:26:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

1 - Mediafire changed its rules, it's now impossible to directly show the image, but the link works (if you copy it)

2 - You can't connect walls at a non-existing midpoint. To make this work proceed as follows:
- use Split wall to divide wall A in two parts - Aa and Ab
- use exact X,Y coordinates to position the split at the point where wall B should connect
- make sure the wall directions are correct (suggestion: wall Aa and Ab go from left to right, wall B goes from down to up
- select wall B, then wall Ab and use Join Walls to connect them

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 26, 2022, 12:18:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kawal

India

Hey.. I never thought of split wall option. thanks for showing me the right direction.

As they say, one image is worth thousand words, it becomes easier for someone to explain the question better. I found out a way to display picture. It shows on preview, lets see if it comes up on the post

[Nov 26, 2022, 1:11:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kawal

India

1 - Mediafire changed its rules, it's now impossible to directly show the image, but the link works (if you copy it)

I tried an alternate way and it worked. So if anyone has already posted any alternate way of showing an image on the post then its ok... incase not, I can share the method I used.

Do let me know how to share... at the end of your post or start a new post and in which category.
[Nov 26, 2022, 1:36:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kawal

India

2 - You can't connect walls at a non-existing midpoint. To make this work proceed as follows:
- use Split wall to divide wall A in two parts - Aa and Ab
- use exact X,Y coordinates to position the split at the point where wall B should connect
- make sure the wall directions are correct (suggestion: wall Aa and Ab go from left to right, wall B goes from down to up
- select wall B, then wall Ab and use Join Walls to connect them

I tried your solution.
I was able to connect wall B and Ab and both got connected. However, I have two queries now:
1.Aa wall gets separated . is it not possible to make a T where all 3 walls are joined?
2.Inspite of splitting the wall at 3', it got splatted at 2'6" & 6'6"

Please see the figure below
Fig A - Original position where B was separate
Fig B - Split was done at 3'
Fig C - B and Ab selected
Fig D - Join successful
Fig E - Wall A got separated whereas i wanted a join of all 3 walls and another issue is that, 3' turned into 2'6"

[Nov 26, 2022, 2:25:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Your wall B is 12 inches thick, this gets subtracted from the length of wall A.

You can't make a three-way connection, as far as i know.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 26, 2022, 3:42:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kawal

India

I understood the length subtraction and now I can stop my research here on how to make a 3 way connection. Thank you for kind assistance.
[Nov 26, 2022, 3:47:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved