Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 28
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4197 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
sjb007
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Process for orthographic, outlined, sectioned, images.

Hi all, I've been working on a process to turn my SH3D model into professional style Axonometric (isometric, dimetric, trimetric) images suitable for a planning application. It also produces elevations, and I've tested sections as well. I'm trying to automate lots of bits of the process so minimal touching up is required though I will stress that the geometry exported by SH3D means that some touch up is needed.

See here for an example image of four example styles that can be produced. Your imagination is the limit here, i.e. I've done "rough sketch" style too just by adding a couple of modifiers in Blender.

I lean heavily on lots of Blender features. A template file will be included and any guide will be based on using the template. Blender is essential for the line art diagrams, the stage setup with multiple camera angles, it will make the sections more flexible than in SH3D, and lots of use of the compositor for producing layered images that can be edited.

This is not really about how to use SH3D, it is just the feeder and the inspiration. The tools used are Blender, Krita, and (eventually) Inkscape - all free, opensource, and cross-platform. At the end of this I intend to produce scaled A1 plans suitable for a planning application that are at least as good as the ones my ex-architect created at great expense. (Note, these are not the detailed technical drawings. I'll still need a pro for those.)

I'm wondering if other SH3D users would find this useful, and if so, I can flesh my notes out into something like a guide? Bear in mind I'm still working on this, so it isn't going to appear tomorrow. Drop a "Yay" or a "Nay" so I can gauge if it is worth putting it together.
[Feb 18, 2023, 8:00:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Process for orthographic, outlined, sectioned, images.

Yay!!!
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Feb 18, 2023, 8:56:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

"Yay"!!!
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Feb 19, 2023, 8:26:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Third Yay !

wink
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Feb 19, 2023, 1:57:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Nice image smile
If you think such a guide and what it produces will be useful, I'll be happy to host it here.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 19, 2023, 7:26:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Vinci68

France

So if the eminent members of this forum are interested, I can only subscribe to this beautiful project. Everything is good to take to progress a little more on SH3D every day and I am constantly enjoying reading the advice given by the members of the forum, the guides and other tips that can be found on the site. Anyway, congratulations to sbj007 for this great achievement.
[Feb 20, 2023, 11:42:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Hi Emmanuel, I'm working on putting this together, and I don't know if I should raise this thing I've run into as a bug.

It's kinda hard to explain in words, so instead I put together a little YouTube video here: https://youtu.be/Qb6yZhMsIDE

Very short text version: SH3D does some strange things with the internal geometry of walls. They're not a deal breaker, but it means a chunk of editing in Blender. It would be great if SH3D produced nicer geometry. Would this be something you would consider?

As a side note, I've decided video tutorials will be better than a written document, so I'm putting together a 5 part video tutorial titled "Producing 2D & 3D plans for submission using Free Open Source Software" consisting of: Introduction, SH3D, Blender, Krita, Inkscape.

In the video above you will hear my voice. Hopefully the audio is clear enough, and I'm understandable. If anyone else views it and struggles to understand, let me know where you're not understanding. That will help me adjust for the actual tutorials. It goes without saying that these tutorials will be in English wink
[Mar 19, 2023, 3:41:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for your clear video and suggestions.
A 3D wall is exported at OBJ format as it's created in Sweet Home 3D, i.e. it's divided in two parts along its length to handle different materials for each side and it's cut along each window hole.

The two 3D walls you show in the first part of your video must come from two different walls in the plan. Some users could argue that if they created two walls on purpose then they would like them to appear as two walls in OBJ export.

Optimizing the internal building of 3D walls would require a lot of work on the Wall3D class which is already complex and probably even more work on the internal handling of faces and how they are exported in OBJWriter class which actually handles only triangles at the moment.
Maybe I could remove the faces at the place where walls join, but it's not so interesting because this would make the Wall3D class more complex with no visual benefit for Sweet Home 3D users. I would prefer to add support for round windows in round walls.
Sorry if I can't say yes to all your proposals.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 23, 2023, 11:11:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

@Emmanuel
Yes, there were two wall segments. Using the patches I wrote they get exported as two objects. Joining them in Blender is dead easy, and I wasn't suggesting SH3D should do that bit.

No problem on the other stuff. I've done more testing, and I've figured out how to fix the walls quite efficiently now. I will distill all my tips into parts 2 & 3.

@Everyone else
In the meantime I've produced part 1 and posted it to a private (for now) link. Don't get too excited - this is just the introduction.

Anyone can view it using this link: https://youtu.be/Vb8UMbKoC9Q

Big respect for people who make videos. It is weirdly hard to talk when you are recording yourself without making loads of mistakes and sounding like an idiot. On a related note, I've said some things about the limitations and capabilities of SH3D, the Side view plugin and the Pan3D plugin. I intend no disrepect at all, and you are all awesome. If it sounds like I'm being unfair or a d**k, it is not my intent. If I have please let me know and I'll make changes.

Hopefully the content is fine, although I did have some trouble with the audio. I was trying to normalize it in Kdenlive, but it was doing weird things, so I ended up turning it off. As a result you will definitely hear fluctuations.
[Mar 24, 2023, 2:41:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

Nice tuto! Very clear. Hope you will go on with the other parts...
[May 19, 2023, 6:51:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved