Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1687 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
j_house

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Sweethome3d on Ubuntu Randomly Freezing

Hi folks, I am having a problem with SweetHome3d randomly freezing while working on a plan. Not sure if it's relevant to the problem but I'm working on a fairly complicated plan and the .sh3d file is close to 30MB.

Usually the freeze occurs somewhere between 5 minutes to a couple of hours after opening the file. There doesn't seem to be any particular action that triggers the freeze and only SweetHome3d is affected. Other programs continue to run fine but the SweetHome3d window is frozen and can't be closed.

The computer is a recent model laptop with i7 processor, 32GB of memory, and an Nvidia graphics chipset. I use SweetHome3d 6.6.2 on Xubuntu 22.04 (Xubuntu is Ubuntu with XFCE window manager instead of Gnome). I originally installed SweetHome3d from the Ubuntu repository using apt, and have of course run apt update on the system regularly.

I did read in these forums that I may need to increase the memory used by SweetHome3d through modification of the -Xmx option in the start up script. Sorry if this is a basic question but is the script I should modify the one at /usr/bin/sweethome3d? If so I can't find any reference to -Xmx in the script at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially any advice on where to look (a particular log file perhaps?) to help track down the source of the problem.

John.
[Feb 21, 2023, 11:36:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gfantuzzi

Italia
Re: Sweethome3d on Ubuntu Randomly Freezing

HI. I have the same problem. did you solve it by any chance?
[Nov 7, 2023, 6:25:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
j_house

Hi, no unfortunately not. So far the only solution is to save regularly.

John.
[Nov 8, 2023, 3:35:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

@j_house On the lack of settings, you just need to add them if they are missing.

On the logging, have you tried the advice in:
http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,9906

If that doesn't help, you can try a little plugin that daniels118 created when I was helping him understand an issue I was having with one of his plugins. This plugin automagically redirects the stdout/stderr to a file. See the following post for the link to the plugin:
http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/view...4043A0CAE33661740F4#53691

HTH
[Nov 8, 2023, 4:32:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

To increase the max memory used by Sweet Home 3D, you could simply use the official version available at download page which contains only scripts that you can edit.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 8, 2023, 8:43:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
j_house

Thanks guys. The plans I'm on at the moment aren't that complicated so I'm not running into the issue, but I will definitely try thoose suggestions next time I do.

So Puybaret you wouldn't recommend installing from the Ubuntu repo?

John.
[Nov 8, 2023, 9:13:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

So Puybaret you wouldn't recommend installing from the Ubuntu repo?
The version in the repository is an outdated version. Download the latest version from the download page and install that.
[Nov 9, 2023, 9:01:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved