Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5024 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Wololo

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: install sweethome 3D 7.1 on Linux Elementary OS

Note the location of the SweetHome3D start script. This is the script you edited before.

Right click on a .sh3d file
Click "Open With Other Application"
Navigate to the SweetHome3D script and select to open with that script.
Don't forget to mark "Remember this applicatpon for sh3d documents".

From now on double clicking on a sh3d file should start SweetHome3D with the clicked file.

(This is on Debian but it's probably the same on Elementary.)

Thank you @Keet for your suggestion.

I tried it, but unfortunately i haven't seen any option like "open with that script" or "navigate to folder".

In the Files program, i make a right-click on my .sh3d file, then "open with > other application". There is no further option like "open with -> navigate to folder" or "navigate to script".

Would you know how to solve this?

I tried also Option 3. Set default apps via MIME type (Universal) (Link https://fostips.com/default-apps-opening-files-ubuntu)

with these commands

Try 1
otto@ROBERT:~$ gio mime application/zip sweethome3d-7.1.desktop
Set sweethome3d-7.1.desktop as the default for application/zip

Try 2
otto@ROBERT:~$ xdg-mime default sweethome3d-7.1.desktop application/zip

But it didn't helped. i was still unable to open my sh3d file in sweethome3D while double-clicking on the file.
[Mar 31, 2023, 11:29:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

If you don't see an option "Open With" when you right-click a .sh3d file you can select "properties". This will show a window and there should be a tab with "Open With". From there on the instructions remain the same:

After "Open With" you should see a list of programs. SweetHome3D should be in the list but I assume it is not because of your question. If it is check the "Remember" or "Always use this" option.

If SweetHome3D is not in the list you should see an option called something like "Custom Command". After checking that you should get a button to browse to the script and select it. Of course check the "Remember" or "Always use this" option. Also use this option if SweetHome3D IS in the list but you have installed a second version in another location that you want to associate with .sh3d files.
I checked this on Debian and this should work.

By-the-way, don't use the option to default sweethome3d-7.1.desktop to application/zip. It can cause ALL zips to open with SweetHome3D. My described method does nothing more than associate the .sh3d extension with the SweetHome3D program, exactly what you want.
By-By-the-way, It's not so much the Linux distribution that makes a difference, it is the desktop you use (Gnome, Mate, KDE, etc). Every desktop manager can handle these things in slightly different ways but they mostly work the same with sometimes little differences in how options are named.
[Mar 31, 2023, 12:35:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Wololo

Many thanks @Keet for your help.
the trick with "properties" is unfortunately the same as with "open with"
The properties window looks like this:

under "ouvrir avec" i see the same list as earlier with "open with". No ability to set any path or any script.
If sweethome3d doesn't appear in this list of installed applications, no chance...

the desktop used by Elementary OS is Pantheon. Unfortunately it seems to be poorer than the desktop you use under Debian.
The executable file for sweethome3d is installed under /opt/SweetHome3D-7.1/SweetHome3D
[Mar 31, 2023, 8:40:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Wololo

cool Re: install sweethome 3D 7.1 on Linux Elementary OS

hello all,
i have found a solution today for my issue sweethome3d does not appear in "show all applications" list

As you said @Keet, the issue seems to come from the files manager (Pantheon) of my OS.

This solution comes from this webpage:
In pantheon-files, right click -> open wit... I add a new entry to it?

The trick is a change one line in the launcher file sweethome3d-7.1.desktop, the Exec line, i.e. adding %U at the line end
Exec=/opt/SweetHome3D-7.1/SweetHome3D %U

i don' know what this %U really means, but it solved my problem.

the next wish would be that the sweethome3D logo appears for each file name,
> <
but for now it is a secondary issue which i won't try to solve.
[Apr 2, 2023, 1:33:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The %U is a parameter that passes the filename you click to SweetHome3D to open that file. So the filenamager actually executes
/opt/SweetHome3D-7.1/SweetHome3D [yourfilename].sh3d

[Apr 2, 2023, 2:15:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved