Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2088 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
richie_b

Germany
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
recommendation for ThinkPad notebook

Hi every one. ✌

Im new here and have become a big fan of sh3d over the last 3 weeks since we are planning to rehabilitate our house.

Now i bought a used T580 Thinkpad with a i5 7200U CPU to replace my good matured X230 ThinkPad with an i5 3320M CPU and realised, it is nearly the same rendering performance laughing ...

Now im thinking about buying an more modern Thinkpad wit 6 or 8 core CPU for eveything and sh3d.
A E14 G3, L15 G2 or similar...

Which CPU would be good for rendering in sh3d? Ryzen 5/7 intel i5/7?

Thank u!
[Apr 4, 2023, 2:11:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: recommendation for ThinkPad notebook

At the two best quality levels, SunFlow renderer as well as YafaRay renderer use the CPU to compute the image, so you should pay attention to the frequency and the number of cores.
But I have no idea if at given frequency a Ryzen CPU is faster than an Intel CPU.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 4, 2023, 2:27:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Be careful with laptops. Even if the cores and clock speeds are better, rendering is something that takes a long time. In this situation some laptops are constrained by the thermal system. As the constant calculations generate heat it can soon overwhelm the thermal system, and then the CPU throttles until the temps drop to within acceptable levels.

Desktops typically don't get this kind of thermal throttling (or to a much lesser degree because of the much better cooling), so maybe consider running a laptop and desktop to get the benefits of both portability and power.
[Apr 5, 2023, 12:34:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
richie_b

Germany

Thank u for your input!
Finally i bought a used ThinkPad E14 G3.

For a rendering test i did open a new project, insert the cristmas tree and rendered a photo 2880x2160, 4:3, default lens, 4 level, Yafa Ray

X230 CPU: I5 3320M 19:50 min
T580 CPU: I5 7200U 18:26 min
E14 G3 CPU: Ryzen 5500U 4:48 min

I choose the christmas tree because there was a cpu comparison in 2016 with it here in the sh3d forum.
For better classify i download and render the file with the same setup they used here from page 2:

https://sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,6976_offset,10#30602
the fastest result there was: core i7 @ 4GHz 4 cores, 8 threads
time 2:40 min

my results (3x multible tested):

X230 CPU: I5 3320M 6:42 min
T580 CPU: I5 7200U 6:25 min
E14 G3 CPU: Ryzen 5500U 1:52 min smile

Im happy with the benefit of the AMD CPU. Also moving around in a bigger project (my house is 420 MB now) is much more fluid.
Additional the E14 G3 is very quiet, has a bright display and good speakers.
[Apr 15, 2023, 10:21:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved