Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2187 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
scottbailey

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Curved window

Hello,

I want to create a curved window. Any advice on how to do this?

Thank you.
----------------------------------------
Scott Bailey
San Antonio, Texas
[May 22, 2023, 5:33:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Curved window

Here's a curved glass.

You could deform it to the right size and radius, than use it as the basis for you window, using thin walls.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[May 22, 2023, 8:09:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

You can create glass from walls. Since you can create curved walls you can also create curved glass. Draw the curved wall with the correct length and thickness and then export the wall as 'curvedglass.obj'. You can now edit the resulting obj and mtl files with any text editor.

Edit the curvedglass.mtl file by replacing everything with this single block (you can leave the # comment lines at the top if you want):
newmtl Glass
illum 1
Ka 1.0 1.0 1.0
Kd 1.0 1.0 1.0
Ks 0.0 0.0 0.0
Ns 1.0
Ni 1.45
d 0.4

Edit the curvedglass.obj file by replacing every line starting with usemtl with the line usemtl Glass

Import the obj file and you have your self-created glass.
Of course you can use a different name instead of 'curvedglass'.

You can create glass this way with any object you have exported like a floor or a box. Just point the usemtl lines to the 'newmtl Glass' block that you add/replace in the mtl file.
[May 22, 2023, 9:08:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@Keet - what an elegant solution :-)
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[May 22, 2023, 10:09:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@Keet - what an elegant solution :-)
I use this method for every type of glass I need, usually with a flat box I pre-created as glass and just resize it to what I need. It's also an easy way to increase the transparency if you create double or triple pane windows. You do this by setting a lower d value in the mtl file. For multi-pane windows you need a higher transparency because you "see" through multiple glass sheets.

Useful tip for someone who wants to have a hole in the glass for a window-fan or vent: By using a wall you can create glass with a hole in it. You do this by inserting a round window in the wall and exporting only the the wall. The hole created by the window is retained in the export. Edit the export files to change into glass and voila, glass with a hole in it laughing
(Desperately waiting for the fix to create a round hole in a curved wall...)
[May 22, 2023, 10:33:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
captaincook
Advanced Member

France

Bonjour.

Pour reprendre le message de Keet parlant de modifier les fichiers .mtl et .obj , une autre possibilité encore plus simple consiste à dessiner le mur incurvé aux dimensions souhaitées et avec l'onglet "Vue 3D", "Modifier la vue 3D", modifier la transparences des murs selon ses besoins.
On peut aussi en profiter pour appliquer des couleurs ou des textures de son choix sur le mur.
Ne reste plus qu'à exporter le mur en .obj et le ré importer en tant que meuble.
Pas besoin de modifier les fichiers .mtl et .obj.

[May 30, 2023, 7:40:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@captaincook
I understand very few French words but from the picture I can determine what you proposed as an alternative.
True, that works too but...

It's very difficult to make it 'real' glass. You can make the wall white (including the top) and use the 3D View transparency but you can't set the refraction factor Ni.
The color property name remains "wall_1_1" and if you set the wall sides as shiny instead of matt you get and additional property name "wall_1_5" for the top.

When you start creating your own furniture you can't get around manually editing the obj and mtl files unless you create in Blender or something similar. For a newby starting with glass is a simple introduction to setting transparency and how to set a meaningfull property name for color/texture. (hopefully both are added to a future modify furniture dialog.)
When you create glass you are most likely creating a window. If you want the window to open and close you still have to edit the obj file to add the deformation strings to the appropriate group names. If you are already a little familiar with editing obj and mtl files that is a lot easier.

Descriptions of the process as I gave it are meant to teach new users how to get the most out of Sweethome3D without having to learn complex programs like Blender. (Although I have to use Blender for some actions that simply can't be done in Sweethome3D.)

It's good that you reminded us that using the 3D view for transparency is also an option. I think it's mostly used for creating transparent water but looking beyond the obvious is always good!
[May 30, 2023, 9:17:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

As a nice example: A curved bay window I created about a year ago.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/n2gco3trmgp5ifu/CurvedBayWindow.png/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/epjlpgrecp4u2kp/CurvedBayWindow.zip/file
[May 31, 2023, 9:22:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
captaincook
Advanced Member

France

Effectivement, si ma méthode simple peut convenir à partir d'un mur, pour un objet autre, celle de Keet est super.

Exemple ici avec un bureau.

A retenir donc et merci.
[May 31, 2023, 10:34:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved