Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 25
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4082 times and has 24 replies Next Thread

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
angry Redesign overall this forum interface and "functionality"

Redesign overall this forum interface and "functionality"
Redesign overall this archaic and cumbersome over 10 years old forum interface and "functionality" of the forum section!

The overall lack of intuitive, recognizable and utility leaves much to desire!
Not much if anything seems to be intuitive in layout and design about this forum.

For example:
If I no longer want to follow a group or thread, it is a completely illogical journey trying to find how to disable, dis-join notifications. considering that I'm logged in to begin with.
No other forum out there is set up like that.

Make the "unfollow" function available at the relevant thread like any other forums do and not somewhere else irrelevant hidden in the personal profile section as in "my watch"!

Then, after having deselected all posts/threads not wanting to "follow" any longer, yesterday September 6, I get bombarded with 7 new messages originating from webmaster@eteks.com starting at 3:08 AM (PDT) until 12 noon today September 7, about Mail/thread updates from the just dis-joined messages!!!

THAT WAS NOT THE PURPOSE AND MY INTEND! devilish
I clearly dis-joined all messages and postings were I had previously chosen to be notified.
Now I get even more notified!?

Screen shot

To add one more thing to all, I got recently a reply notification that was written 2 years ago to me upon the post that was written by me 2½ years ago!
DUH?
What's the point? What's the logic?
[Sep 7, 2023, 10:06:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Redesign overall this forum interface and "functionality"

I agree that the forum software could use some modernization. But if I asked for it, I would do so in a more friendly way...😀
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 7, 2023, 10:26:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 

Just the facts.
[Sep 7, 2023, 11:39:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 

PS I didn't mean to be unfriendly, just like my clients do When something that they are not satisfied with, the present the facts.

Here on the forum page, at the very bottom in tiny 6 point print it says:
Powered by mvnForum 1.2.2 GA
© Copyrights 2002-2010 by MyVietnam.net

Link to MVNforum is: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mvnforum/
There it indicates that it was last updated 10 years ago.
So it's not only stale but pretty much dead.

The website: "https://mvnforum.com/" no longer exists at the domain is for sale for an absurd amount.

The 2nd domain under the copyright claim, "MyVietnam.net" appears, while the domain registry info exists, to be also nonexistent.

All this, in a day and age of constant update mania about all and everything all the time, all the way to total annoyance, there appears this island of total stagnation when nothing happened in over a decade!

Just a few of my observations shared.

Lastly, why the PS?
Why not updating my preceding message?
Because so far I have found it impossible to find anywhere how to edit/correct/amend an existing by me created message. At least I could not find anything in the logical places I looked for.

From all the other forums in all the towns in all the worlds out there, none of them have such an archaic interface and lack of [user-friendly] functionality.
[Sep 8, 2023, 12:10:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LaVache

Belgique

blushing I saw many boards full of spam robots… Here only the forum is the spam robot. blushing
That has no price…

Seriously, I don't think it would be easy to get help and documentation for this old Vietnamese forum to migrate to something more modern, without losing the old threads, encoding, attachments and stuff.
It would at least be a full-time job and a full rebuild, but for how long, what result? Sometimes you know what you're losing, not what you're gaining.
[Sep 8, 2023, 9:35:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I have to agree with LaVache. Unless there's a really good way to merge the current threads to a different forum we're better of with what we have. OK, it might be a little archaic and old-fashioned but it does what it has to do. There's not much other "modern" software can do better.
[Sep 8, 2023, 10:00:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

I agree with LaVache and Keet.
I remember there was a change of forum server in the past (2013 or 2014) and was lost many things.
Of course, every thing could be improved but not all new fashions is good (not for me).
This forum at least have and keep colors which was abandoned by SH3D icons.
I dislike this minimalist fashion designed for old mobile devices.
I also dislike the mobile devices (old and new) including laptops.
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Sep 8, 2023, 10:24:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 

Interesting how all replies seem to circumvent to respond to some issues I raised in my post.
[Sep 8, 2023, 5:51:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Why not updating my preceding message?
Because so far I have found it impossible to find anywhere how to edit/correct/amend an existing by me created message. At least I could not find anything in the logical places I looked for.
Because that is deliberatly blocked to avoid spam which at one time was a problem. Some users are allowed to edit their posts because they have proven to be active and helpful participants and a such have proven to not be a spammer.
You can request the option to be opened for you but you will have to take the responsibility to use it wise. Otherwise you can wait for the Advanced Member status which I think automatically adds the edit option.
[Sep 8, 2023, 7:11:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Otherwise you can wait for the Advanced Member status which I think automatically adds the edit option.

I'm an Advanced Member and I do not have the option to edit, so it is not automatically granted. (Not unless I since earned a punishment of losing the ability for some transgression I'm unaware of.)
[Sep 8, 2023, 7:47:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved