Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1508 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
SweetHomeBuilder

Danmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Better GUI for SH3D

Hi

I have recently got the download unpaid version SH3D and what a nasty surprise I got once I opened it to give it a try !

It is even worse than the online version in terms of user experience.

In the online version it is possible to search and filter furniture, but this is not the case in the free download version - why ?

As it stand right now I feel very lucky to not have paid anything which help ease the huge disappointment I feel right now.

I think the whole User Interface should get an overhaul in order to look more modern in appearance.

Personally I would love to see SH3D look and function more like programs such as space Designer 3D or Floorplanner - if this was realised then I wouldn't mind paying 2 or 3 times the current price for the paid version.

However, if there is one feature I really love in SH3D then it has to be the way curved walls are created cool
[Sep 10, 2023, 5:15:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Better GUI for SH3D

Perhaps you could ask before you bark wink
File -> Preferences. Set 'Furniture catalog view' to 'Searchable list'

By-the-way, Sweet Home 3D is Sweet Home 3D, not Designer 3D and not Floorplanner. If it were the same there would be no reason for it to exist.
[Sep 12, 2023, 9:15:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Each application has its advantages and drawbacks.
And about "modern" appearance, tastes are always personal. Even if icons were updated two years ago, there will be always some people who don't like them.

Anyway, if you want to give an additional chance to Sweet Home 3D, showing icons and search text field in the catalog is simple as selecting Searchable list in the preferences as suggested by Keet.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 12, 2023, 9:23:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LaVache

Belgique

Modern icons like Fontawesome 's often use a floppy disk to save a file, but who uses floppy disks any more and is it really modern? wink

What seems stranger to me is that all operating systems, when they announce a list (searchable or not), don't show an icon view. In SH3D it's the opposite.
[Sep 12, 2023, 10:04:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SweetHomeBuilder

Danmark

Perhaps you could ask before you bark wink
File -> Preferences. Set 'Furniture catalog view' to 'Searchable list'

Thank you for your guidance which did resolve my issue smile

Yes, I was a bit harsh, however, one would expect the online version and the download one to mimic each other on startup.
[Sep 12, 2023, 2:59:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JonnyD

Would one? One might argue that one should read the instructions etc before commenting harshly.
[Sep 12, 2023, 4:01:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

...one would expect the online version and the download one to mimic each other on startup.
Eh, No. An online version almost always can't perform like installed software and is partially depending on the browser. Online versions are limited to what a browser and your internet connection can handle.

The alternatives you mentioned don't even offer installed versions and the "free" versions are quickly useless and/or watermarked. Sweet Home 3D offers installers for multiple Operating Systems. Recently special versions for IOS and Android were added. The installed versions of Sweet Home 3D aren't limited in any way other than what your system can handle. I work with huge projects that could never be handled in any online software.

And then there is the privacy thing... Sweet Home 3D is open source software which you can't say about the alternatives you mentioned. If I create a 1000 different chairs on my local system I don't get bombarded with spam about chairs. Can you say the same for the alternatives you mentioned?
[Sep 12, 2023, 5:17:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SweetHomeBuilder

Danmark

And then there is the privacy thing... Sweet Home 3D is open source software which you can't say about the alternatives you mentioned. If I create a 1000 different chairs on my local system I don't get bombarded with spam about chairs. Can you say the same for the alternatives you mentioned?

No, I can't give any guarantees that these companies won't be so unscrupulous and spam their users, however, one would assume that it is not likely as their immediate goal is convert free users into paying ones.
[Sep 12, 2023, 7:25:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
YGYL
Advanced Member

This indicates that opening the search list by default is a more correct solution
[Sep 14, 2023, 9:43:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LaVache

Belgique

But it's not a list, and we don't all necessarily have the same vocabulary. OK a door is a door then even trees are furnitures (on the way).
[Sep 14, 2023, 9:59:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved