Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 30
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1081 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
Sivor

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
smile Custom 3D Model being imported without texture

Hello people! I recently started importing my own custom 3D models in Sweet Home 3D. However, they are always imported without their textures at all. For example, I have a 3D model which has an image in it, how can I import it in a way that the image will be displayed in the editor?

Thank you guys!
----------------------------------------
Sivor
[Mar 5, 2024, 9:05:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Custom 3D Model being imported without texture

What file format are you importing? (OBJ/MTL, 3DS?)

Usually the problem is that the path reference to the textures is wrong or there simply are no textures.

With an OBJ/MTL file you can check the MTL file. The texture references on the map_Kd lines tell you where the textures are expected to be found. Make sure the textures are at the listed location. It's common to have the textures in the same directory as the OBJ/MTL file and no path reference in the MTL file.

If there are no textures you should check that the program you use for creating the 3D models (Blender?) exports the textures along with the mesh file.
[Mar 6, 2024, 7:13:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sivor

Hello! I am taking a GLB format and converting it into an OBJ format. No, I'm not using blender, I am still a newbie so I'm creating 3D models using Paint 3D. I even tried importing models from the 3D library provided by Microsoft and upon converting them into OBJ and importing them, they all came in as a dull grey model without texture.
Sivor
[Mar 6, 2024, 1:15:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Check your export from GLB to OBJ. You should have an .OBJ file, a .MTL file, and one or more texture image files.

If the MTL file is missing you won't have any meterials, if the texture images are missing you won't see any textures.

Both the OBj and MTL files are just text files you can edit with a plain text editor. In short, the OBJ file is the mesh, the model itself. The MTL file is the materials file where the different materials are defined.

If you do have the MTL file and the texture images, check the OBJ file Close to the top in the OBJ file there should be a line "mtllib ????.mtl" where ???.mtl is the name of the MTl file you got with the GLB conversion. If that line references a non-existing MTL file you will not have any material, i.e. textures or predefined colors.
[Mar 6, 2024, 2:00:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Hi, Keet
I use this Post to continue my experiments.
As mentioned in the Post "Problem to 3d view", following your indications, I am in the process of preparing the model that joins windows/french windows to the relevant external shutters with the related movements.
Here you will find the initial stages of the project and the finished (but to be refined) model of the high shutter with jealousies to match the French door under construction.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xuktironst2eu0i/shutters_french_windows.rar/file

I repeat that the high shutter needs to be refined (translated and simplified) but it expresses the concept of the movements I wanted to subject it to.
In the window leaning against the wall (also in the experimental phase) there is the plane external to the movement which acts as a landing in the wall and on which as an idea the shutters with jealousy will have to be fixed (I mean in the space of transparency delimited by the landing plane) ( for windows) which I have yet to complete.
Tell me if you want what you think
[Mar 12, 2024, 1:17:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Looks like you mastered the chained deformations very well. (hinge_on_hinge)

Take care that too much detail will grow the size of the objects. If you have a lot of those in a project things will slow down and make rendering a photo a very long process.
[Mar 12, 2024, 1:34:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Ahhh the window shutters have an error in the assignment of the hinges and the opening of the shutters which I am correcting, similar to the shutter on the French window
[Mar 12, 2024, 1:37:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

good start, very interesting when ready

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 12, 2024, 1:42:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

"Take care that too much detail will grow the size of the objects. If you have a lot of those in a project things will slow down and make rendering a photo a very long process."

Unfortunately, shutters are necessarily complex objects (composed of numerous solid objects spaced by transparencies), I know that this involves a large OBJ file and heavy rendering speed.... but in homes (especially in Italy) they exist and will exist ....the historic centers are full of them
[Mar 12, 2024, 1:47:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Keet
as you know, I fill my free time with my experiments.
After I have corrected the opening error of the "jealousies" of the window shutters (it will be sufficient to change the size of the relative Hinge, center it, position it correctly and reduce it to 1 for "jealousy"...I will have to deal with the union of the various objects (and each movement of the same) in a single object (which is not simple and a source of errors and import blocks)....
biggrin And as I write this I am thinking of using that same Hinge to produce the "jealousies" together with the opening movement the movement of their stop (which rotates on the jealousy, however, should visually then be fixed to the frame)....
cool but why don't I stop for a little... instead of causing trouble for myself.... devilish
[Mar 12, 2024, 5:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved