Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 144 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
bTal

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Merging levels from multiple files

Greetings, all!

I created the first and second levels of a house as separate files, with no previous consideration that it might eventually be beneficial to merge them, much less properly offset them vertically relative to each other. (Thus, my second floor is at 0 elevation, as I didn't think I'd actually have a reason to offset it relative to the first floor.)

Now, however, I think it would be beneficial to merge these floors-as-separate-files into a single coherent home (party because certain elements span both stories, and not having them actually makes things more complicated).

Is there an easy/preferred way to accomplish this? I'm hesitant to copy the second level into the first, as I can't first offset it vertically in its current file. (Plan -> Levels -> Modify Level is greyed out.)

Thanks for any suggestions!
[Apr 22, 2024, 9:14:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Merging levels from multiple files

Open the file showing the upper level, choose Edit > Select all and Edit > Copy menu items, then open the file showing the lower level, choose Plan > Levels > Add level and Edit > Paste menu items. That’s all!
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 22, 2024, 2:52:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bTal

Thank you, Emmanuel - that was the option I was attempting to locate! It appears to have worked well... except for highlighting a few mistakes between floors! :)

Any input on whether there a "best practice" for how to address multi-level walls using SH3D?

For example, is it better to always draw the walls of each level separately, even if the outside walls always span both floors, or if you have the occasional room with 2-story interior walls, such as for a 2-story entryway?

Similarly, are there issues to using negative heights, say if you have a garage that is a few feet lower than the main floor of a house? (i.e. you need 3-4 steps to get from the garage to the first floor because of the grade of the lot, etc.)

Thanks!
[Apr 23, 2024, 9:42:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

For example, is it better to always draw the walls of each level separately, even if the outside walls always span both floors, or if you have the occasional room with 2-story interior walls, such as for a 2-story entryway?
Use walls only for the floor where they are. The reason is simple: if you texture the walls for a room you don't want to span that over multiple floors but keep it to the room where you set the wall texture. It's easy to create walls above each other: just copy them from one level to the next above and they will look on the outside as a single wall. With a 2-story entryway you could use higher walls but that's an exception to the rule. You probably want to use walls per levels anyway for this since the other side of the wall is most likely for another room and you want to keep room textures for that room.

Similarly, are there issues to using negative heights, say if you have a garage that is a few feet lower than the main floor of a house? (i.e. you need 3-4 steps to get from the garage to the first floor because of the grade of the lot, etc.)
No issues, it's just that the level has a negative elevation value, that's all. The walls and floor you handle just like any other level. You might want to set a different height for the negative level if you want to equalize the ceiling with the ground floor level but that depends on your design.
[Apr 23, 2024, 12:12:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Another reason not to use walls that span multiple floors is that it makes it hard to view lower floors in the 3D view if they are surrounded by towering perimeter walls.
[Apr 23, 2024, 6:13:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved