Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11897 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
werner

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
kitchen work top or simple shelf

Hi,

First of all thanks for this very nice application!

I can't figure out how to create a work top in a kitchen, one could also call it a shelf. I.e. a wooden or stone or ... surface which does not have any furniture/door below.

Looked through all the models but can't find anything which I could use (or abuse for my use).

Werner
[Apr 26, 2010, 7:08:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: kitchen work top or simple shelf

Werner:

Under Miscellaneous use the model Box . Make it 60-65 cms deep, 4 cms high and as long as is necessary. Of course you can give the box a texture. Give it the same elevation as the height of your base cabinets, or slightly less if you don't want the stove to disappear. The only problem is that the sink will (partly) disappear, but you can avoid this by using smaller parts.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Apr 26, 2010, 7:46:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
werner

Hans,

Thanks for the tip, works very well for me.

Werner
[Apr 27, 2010, 10:58:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bonkers

United Kingdom

I'm brand new here, had the same problem.
I used an oversized "chopping board" - skinnable with any texture if you don't want wood.
But - why I mention it - it has a rounded edge, not square, like modern "bull-nose" formica worktops.
I find it looks better.
[May 6, 2022, 6:17:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The chopping board should work but when you make it bigger the 'rounded' corners aren't that well rounded. I created a table top like hansmex mentioned with a box object but I extended it to have real rounded corners.
Here's how-to:
Create a box 4cm high, 55cm deep, and 80cm wide.
Create another box of 4cm high, 61cm deep, and 74cm wide.
Move them on top of each other so you get a kind of cross with small cut out corners.
Place a cylinder 4cm high and a diameter of 6cm on each corner.
use the alignment tool to make it easier.
If you group them you have your table/cabinet top.
If you adjust the measurements: Make the width and height difference of the boxes the same as the cylinder diameter.

To make it 'perfect': Do NOT set any textures! Select all parts and export them as an object. (Make sure they all have a height of 4cm and elevation 0)
After import-furniture of your exported object you have a single object. Now you can set textures. The tops of the cylinders and the boxes are merged into a single 'top' property because the cylinder and box objects use that same property name. It also allows to rotate a texture with a wood-grain for the sides.

This method also has the advantage that you can choose your own size that is the same when using the object AND you can choose which corners are rounded or not. For example only rounded at the front and not at the wall-side.

Advanced extra: before importing the object edit the obj and mtl files that were created when you exported the parts. This way you can merge front, back, left, right, and cylinder into a single property 'sides'. The result would be that you can set textures to 'top', 'bottom' and 'sides'. If you wish you can also merge top and bottom into a single property.
[May 7, 2022, 2:47:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

If you want a kitchen worktop with round borders, you may also import a 3D model designed by Vladoffsky showing a working top, then hide its materials which are not named "counter".
If you want the counter alone, just export the result to OBJ format and reimport it.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 7, 2022, 3:24:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved