Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 40
Posts: 40   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 47136 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Increase memory

Interesting that it still ran! smile If it is helpful my kitchen test scene contains several very high resolution textures (1280x1280) for the female model and it rendered fine with 512MB with the swap file on default 'let Windows manage swap file'

End users shouldn't really be disabling their swap file unless they have 3-4GB or more of memory, even then there isn't really much of a performance gain, especially under Windows 7 which now handles memory and paging much more efficiently.

db4tech
[Jun 19, 2010, 10:17:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

My main goal is and will always be to let a maximum count of users run Sweet Home 3D out of the box. If this implies that I must support those who disabled their swap file, then it should run for them too.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jun 19, 2010, 1:13:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Very wise I can fully understand your thinking but you also want users with newer computer systems to appreciate just how good your program is. So with that in mind, how about option 3 ? smile

Instead of writing complex code to check a users memory or swap file availability, produce 2 Windows versions for download or Online use, by changing just the small area of code that requests either 512 or 1024MB.

Could be advertised as something like the following:
  • 1GB version (For power users) provides greatly improved rendering speed.

• 512MB version (Designed for computers with less memory and for older systems) rendering speeds will be slower.

db4tech
[Jun 20, 2010, 3:44:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

db4tech:

Selling ideas??

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Jun 20, 2010, 9:56:46 AM]
[Jun 20, 2010, 8:56:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

He He laughing
I like it Hans!

By the way the vacuum cleaners are on special offer at the moment but it is a time limited offer. Not to mention the fact the colour even matches your scooter! biggrin

db4tech
[Jun 22, 2010, 1:08:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sanjoyp

UK

Is there a way of doing this in 3.0 beta ?
[Oct 7, 2010, 1:08:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Sanjoy,

My guess is that you can do the xMx-thing once the installed version 3.0 is ready.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Oct 7, 2010, 1:29:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
fhoofman

You can change the max memory used by Sweet Home 3D only on the installer version, by changing the value in the -Xmx Java option:
- under Linux, edit SweetHome3D script and update the 1024 value in the option -Xmx1024m,
- under Mac OS X, right click on Sweet Home 3D application icon, select Show Package Contents, open Contents folder, edit Info.plist file by dragging its icon on TextEdit application, and update the 1024 value in the text <string>-Xmx1024m</string>,
- under Windows, create a text file named SweetHome3D.l4j.ini in the same directory as SweetHome3D.exe, and write the max memory Java option in that file, for example:
-Xmx2048m
for 2 GB, then relaunch Sweet Home 3D.

On all systems, 1024m means 1024 MegaBytes.

I'm running windows 7, and I create text file SweetHome3D.l4j.ini.
content of the text file:

-Xmx2048m

when I run the exe file, there's an error occur

" Could Not Create The Java Virtual Machine"
[Oct 7, 2010, 10:11:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hi fhoofman,

I'm also using Windows 7 but also tried with XP SP3.

Windows seems to be limited to a maximum of (around) 1536 (1.5) to start without the error you mentioned.
From all the tests I carried out before (on the previous pages) there's no real benefit on going higher than 1024 anyway.

So if you want to try it, my recommendation is to use. smile

-Xmx1024m

db4tech
[Oct 7, 2010, 11:59:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
r921vs

Russia

The Info.plist file on mac is protected and can not be changed. How can this be fixed?
[Jan 30, 2018, 9:36:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 40   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved